This post has partner links that I may receive compensation for at no cost to you. Thank you!
Travelers: Amazonhas announced a great new benefit for Amazon Prime members. Subscribers can now download videos for offline viewing.
A Prime subscription includes access to Amazon Prime Instant Videos, but previously most devices required an internet connection and had no offline viewing. This of course is an issue when you’re traveling and are either on an airplane with no wifi (or really any airplane, since the inflight wifi is never good enough for video streaming), or in a country where you don’t have internet access.
This is a game changer for a subscription service. Now you can download streaming movies and TV shows to your iPhone, iPad, or Android device before you go on a trip. If there’s no inflight entertainment, you’ll have your own, and it’s already included with your Prime subscription. Netflix does not yet offer similar capabilities, so it will be interesting to see if they attempt to match it soon, or if they allow Amazon to corner this market.
Note that not all of Amazon Prime’s video selection will be available for offline download. Due to content restrictions, it will only be a subset of their offering. Still, between Amazon’s original content and what they do have available, they should have something good or you to watch. Here’s a brief list of what you can currently download:
Titles available on Amazon Prime Instant Videosto download for offline viewing include:
- Drama series such as the Amazon Original Series Bosch based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling books; the Starz miniseries The White Queen; and hit network shows including 24, Covert Affairs, Downton Abbey, Extant, Grimm, Hannibal, Justified, Mr. Selfridge, Orphan Black, Sons of Anarchy, Teen Wolf, The Americans, The Good Wife, Suits, Under the Dome, Veronica Mars, Vikings, and many more
- Comedy series including Amazon’s multi-Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated series Transparent, the Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman comedy Mozart in the Jungle, and the critically acclaimed comedy created by and starring Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan, Catastrophe
- Binge-worthy series such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Girls, Veep, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, and True Blood, among others
- Kids shows exclusive for Prime members including Amazon Original Series Wishenpoof!, Creative Galaxy, the 2015 Annie Award-winning animated series for preschoolers Tumble Leaf, the live-action kids series Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street, and Annedroids
- Blockbuster movies including Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Captive, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and The Wolf of Wall Street, in addition to exclusives such as Life After Beth, Palo Alto, Starred Up, The Bling Ring, If I Stay, and The Spectacular Now
Have you used Amazon Prime Instant Videos offline yet? What did you think?
I start all of my flight & hotel research on Kayak to find the best deals!